SharePoint + Visual Studio - cannot rename Feature folder
When you Add Feature in Visual Studio, it by default creates a ‘folder' with some gubbins underneath it. By default this is Feature1.
This is pretty ugly, but you may encounter a scenario where you cannot rename it. It seems to be based on other characters that exist in the path of the solution/project. For instance, we tend to use full stops to delineate a pseudo namespace. Now amount of Right-Click > Rename will sort it.
There does (of course) appear to be a filthy little hack to get around it.
- Exclude feature from the project - it will disappear in the project tree but will still visible if you click “Show All Files”
- Rename file “Feature1.feature” and its parent folder via the properties window or right click on the feature file and select “Rename” option.
- Make sure that file “Feature1.feature” and its parent folder have the same names e.g. “ListsAndContentTypes.feature” for feature file and “ListsAndContentTypes” for the parent folder
- Right click on the parent feature folder (in example above “ListsAndContentTypes” ) and click “Include in project” Now the feature file have appropriate name.
- Make sure that it is included in the package - check the “Package” project item.
Worked for me.
Solution found here.