Jolyon's at No.10, Cardiff, Wales
Pretentious boutique nonsense. There’s nothing ‘boutique’ about this hotel.
There’s nothing particularly wrong with it either - we had a perfectly OK stay - but it’s just an overpriced modern hotel and doesn’t have any of the features that you might expect from a boutique hotel - and certainly not enough to justify the eye-watering prices.
- Location is good, just a few minutes to the castle/cathedral/stadium and Cardiff centre.
- Although our first experience was at about 6pm on a Friday with a bunch of drunks falling down the street being noisy and vomiting.
+/- There is parking, but it was full and would have been a nightmare to use. There is parking behind the hotel that we didn’t have to pay for, but it was a bit of a trek to then go all the way around the block back to the entrance.
- Entrance/foyer/bar area is nice enough
- But got very noisy with obnoxious music and lots of people who at least seemed to be non-guests
- Room was OK and the bed was comfy (even if it was just two singles pushed together)
- It was ridiculously hot all night and the windows didn’t open enough, and the A/C was not functional; bathroom extractor fan never switched off
- Breakfast was good
- Seemed under-staffed on a very busy morning so there was a lot of waiting around for food/drinks and a lot of used plates etc that needed clearing
- The receptionist was very friendly and helpful
- Bar staff were moody!
Overall it’s fine as a modern hotel. But it’s not ‘boutique’ and it’s really expensive for what it is. Won’t stay there again.